Albuquerque Beekeepers

Urban beekeeping in New Mexico's largest city.

I'm searching for input on how to propose the creation of a publicly accessible apiary to CABQ.  Given the importance that bees play in the success of agricultural economies and the environment as a whole, I feel that getting support from the city for one or more strategically located public apiaries should be a reasonable goal.  Unfortunately, I don't know who to approach within the city government to even begin the process towards approval.  So, I'm reaching out to the community with hopes that someone may be able to advise me on how to proceed!  I've created a rough diagram (attached) of what a location might look like, and would be happy to receive any constructive feedback for improvements.  I'm not much of a digital artist, so I did what I could with my knowledge of PowerPoint.  I've read of a few other locations throughout the country that have established community apiaries, but it's unclear to me whether they are receiving support from the local government for their operation.  Still, they serve as proof that the concept isn't a just a pipe dream.  Anyways, any tips on how to move forward or reasons why I shouldn't are equally welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Views: 30

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott,

Thanks so much for sharing this here.  Sara Mancini (Office of Neighborhood Coordination, Manager) may be able to point you in the right directing.  Here email is saramancini@cabq.gov.  Also, city counselors Isaac Benton (ibenton@cabq.gov) and Brad Winter (bwinter@cabq.gov) were involved in passing the Bee City USA resolution.  They would be important to reach out to.

I really appreciate your idea and the work you have done thus far.  I think this is a great idea.

Best, 
Amy

Thanks Amy!  I'll reach out to Sara, Isaac, and Brad tomorrow.  Hopefully they'll offer some good insight into applicable processes.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Abq Beeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service