Albuquerque Beekeepers

Urban beekeeping in New Mexico's largest city.

I am a backyard "fruit farmer" near the River in Albuquerque's Central Valley  (Paseo & Coors).  We have multiple Stone fruit trees and many ornamentals in full bloom, yet I see no bees on any of the trees or ornamentals.   I see in other discussion threads that several folks have experienced mysterious hive losses.  (Bees just up and gone).    

Questions:  

+Has anyone else in the city limits or along the river noticed this problem?

+ Is there a problem with bee populations this year?    

+ Have the trees bloomed too early and it is still too cold for significant bee activity?

+ Anyone have a hive looking for a home of a couple of weeks?

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Additional post by  Terrance Connors.   Just this saw this post on another thread...

"Consider contacting the City at 311, to get to the Environment and Health Department, to bee [pun intended?] placed on the "no spray" list for mosquito fogging. " Residents who don't want their property sprayed can register for the No-Spray List. To register for the no-spray list, call 311. A 1000-foot buffer is maintained around the property as a no-spray area. This list is specifically maintained as part of the mosquito control program; other pesticides may be applied in the area by different agencies for different purposes.""

I live immediately adjacent to the Corrales Drain which frequently contains slow or standing water.   Could the City or MRGCD be spraying in this area?   Could this be the problem?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Abq Beeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service